Friday, September 30, 2011

Boylan Cane Cola

This company is celebrating their 110th year in operation!


This is my first, and I believe only, Coca-cola inspired soda of this journey. At least I'm assuming that's what Cane Cola is.

*Sniff* Ahh that smell reminds me of my days at Johnson and Wales. At JWU I was diagnosed with dyspepsia (fancy doctor speak for chronic upset stomach). This dyspepsia was a direct result of my unhappiness there, a stress symptom. When I went to the University doctor's they gave me...

Coca-cola syrup.

When I went to my real doctor in Maryland he laughed and said, "That's an old wives tale." What I'm trying to say is, yes this soda is Boylan's coca-cola.

Side Note: dyPEPSIa. Motivation for coca-cola's competitor??

Anyway, on to actually drinking my beverage.

I note a little bit of spice. Not like Reed's ginger ale smack-you-in-the-face-then-spit-on-you-then-curb-stomp-you spice. But a tad of spice. I wish my palette was awesome enough to be able to distinguish what spices my brain receptors are interpreting. I can only compare the flavor to coca-cola, of course. I mean is there any other thing in the world that tastes like coke and it's knock offs? So, think of coke. Now water it down ever so slightly. Throw in a tad bit more spice. And now you have Boylan's cane cola brew.

One of my biggest complaints about name brand soft drinks is that they carbonate it way too much. Understandable from the companies view point. Throw in extra carbonated water, use less syrup. Seems cost effective. Thankfully, these glass bottling companies don't do that. I despise that feeling of an eruption of bubbles in my mouth. Boylan's does not do this and so I put this cola above any name brand cola.

Take that Coke and Pepsi.

These bottles have that cool bubble collar that I like. Boylan's bottles are tall and slim. The main color of the label is a brick red. I didn't check to see if all the Boylan's brews sported this theme or not. Brick red is kind of a cola color. Maybe they do change depending on the soda inside their glass walls. Why don't you go and check out the Boylan's root beer I did and tell me what color it was.

I think my opinion on this is fairly clear. Compared to the originators, I like it much better (I really do not like over carbonation!) Compared with the rest of its competitors it'll go down as average. I'm not the biggest fan of the cola flavor in the first place.

On the bright side, my stomach shall be happy for the next 4 hours...supposedly.


No comments:

Post a Comment